Does Linaro GCC 5.4 fully support ARMv8.2-A
Vincent Chen
2017-10-17 18:31:21 UTC

We are evaluating LInaro GCC5.4 readiness for ARMv8.2-A extension support but can't find direct answer if all the features has been supported/backported.

Can you point me to the answer?

Thanks,
Vincent

confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
Christophe Lyon
2017-10-18 09:36:06 UTC
Hi Vincent,

We have backported ARMv8.2 support to our gcc-linaro-6 branch, so gcc
5.4 does not support ARMv8.2-A. You have to use gcc-linaro-6 or more
recent.

Christophe
Hi,
Vincent Chen
2017-10-18 18:34:50 UTC
Thanks Christophe. In terms of Linaro GCC6.4 how long the supported life cycle is?

Christophe Lyon
2017-10-19 08:46:53 UTC
We track FSF branches as follows: when a new release branch 'N' is
available, we switch our active releases to it.

Branch N-1 goes to maintenance mode, and branch N-2 goes to
best-effort/as-needed until the branch is closed on the FSF side.

As of today, this means that:
- gcc-linaro-7 is our active release branch. We provide quarterly
binary releases, and monthly source snapshots. We do monthly
branch-merges and backport interesting patches from trunk.
- gcc-linaro-6 is in maintenance mode. We provide quarterly binary
releases and monthly source snapshots. We do monthly branch-merges.
- gcc-linaro-5 is in "as-needed" mode. We provide binary releases when
needed. In practice, we are in the process of creating our final
gcc-linaro-5, since the FSF gcc-5 branch was closed recently with the
gcc-5.5 release.

All this will shift when the FSF releases gcc-8 (probably in April or
May 2018), which probably means we'll have our final gcc-linaro-6
release in about a year from now. However we are currently modifying
our release process, so don't take this for granted.

Christophe
Vincent Chen
2017-10-23 20:32:21 UTC
Thanks for the information, it's very useful. Is there any mail list I can register myself to receive future update about toolchain?

We track FSF branches as follows: when a new release branch 'N' is available, we switch our active releases to it.

Branch N-1 goes to maintenance mode, and branch N-2 goes to best-effort/as-needed until the branch is closed on the FSF side.

As of today, this means that:
- gcc-linaro-7 is our active release branch. We provide quarterly binary releases, and monthly source snapshots. We do monthly branch-merges and backport interesting patches from trunk.
- gcc-linaro-6 is in maintenance mode. We provide quarterly binary releases and monthly source snapshots. We do monthly branch-merges.

Thanks Christophe. In terms of Linaro GCC6.4 how long the supported life cycle is?
We have backported ARMv8.2 support to our gcc-linaro-6 branch, so gcc
5.4 does not support ARMv8.2-A. You have to use gcc-linaro-6 or more recent.
Christophe
Post by Vincent Chen
Hi,
We are evaluating LInaro GCC5.4 readiness for ARMv8.2-A extension support but can't find direct answer if all the features has been supported/backported.
Can you point me to the answer?
Thanks,
Vincent
-
------------- This email message is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
Christophe Lyon
2017-10-24 08:25:06 UTC
We announce new snapshots/releases on this mailing-list, so you should
subscribe.

You can have a look at the archives:
https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linaro-toolchain/

Christophe