Question about the Linaro toolchain version
Luo Zhenhua
2015-10-20 02:23:04 UTC

The default gcc version of Yocto 2.0(Jethro) is 5.2.0, the gcc version in meta-linaro is gcc-4.9.4, may I know if gcc-linaro-4.9.4 will be used for Yocto 2.0 release? when will the linaro gcc be upgraded to gcc-5.x?

BTW, can someone please help point out where the Linaro toolchain roadmap can be got?

Best Regards,

Zhenhua
Jim Wilson
2015-10-20 04:44:10 UTC
Post by Luo Zhenhua
The default gcc version of Yocto 2.0(Jethro) is 5.2.0, the gcc version in
meta-linaro is gcc-4.9.4, may I know if gcc-linaro-4.9.4 will be used for
Yocto 2.0 release? when will the linaro gcc be upgraded to gcc-5.x?
I don't think that we have any say over Yocto. We just make releases,
and they decide which ones to use.

The previous binary release 15.06 was the last one to include
gcc-4.8.x support. The next binary release will be the first one to
include gcc-5.x support, though I haven't seen it come out yet, I
think it is expected soon. We have already made source snapshots of
gcc-5.x available. There were some delays with the binary releases
because of instabilities with our build farm. Those problems have
been fixed, though we might end up shifting the schedule a bit because
of the delays.
Post by Luo Zhenhua
BTW, can someone please help point out where the Linaro toolchain roadmap can be got?
There was a roadmap talk at the HKG15 Connect
http://connect.linaro.org/resource/hkg15/hkg15-203-tcwg-2015-roadmap-review/

I don't know if there is a more recent one.

Jim
Fathi Boudra
2015-10-20 06:14:09 UTC
Post by Jim Wilson
Post by Luo Zhenhua
The default gcc version of Yocto 2.0(Jethro) is 5.2.0, the gcc version in
meta-linaro is gcc-4.9.4, may I know if gcc-linaro-4.9.4 will be used for
Yocto 2.0 release? when will the linaro gcc be upgraded to gcc-5.x?
We don't have ETA as TCWG hasn't released GCC 5.x based Linaro toolchain.
Once the source release will be done, it will be integrated into
meta-linaro-toolchain.
Post by Jim Wilson
I don't think that we have any say over Yocto. We just make releases,
and they decide which ones to use.
FYI, we (Linaro) provide and maintain meta-linaro-toolchain.
It features Linaro toolchain to OpenEmbedded users.
Post by Luo Zhenhua
BTW, can someone please help point out where the Linaro toolchain roadmap can be got?
There was a roadmap talk at the HKG15 Connect
http://connect.linaro.org/resource/hkg15/hkg15-203-tcwg-2015-roadmap-review/
I don't know if there is a more recent one.
Jim
Cheers,
--
Fathi Boudra
Engineering Manager | Builds and Baselines, Release
Luo Zhenhua
2015-10-20 08:57:42 UTC
Hi Jim and Fathi,

Thanks a lot for the comments.

Is it possible that gcc-5.x recipes go into jethro branch of meta-linaro-toolchain, or it will be integrated into master branch of meta-linaro-toolchain to support Yocto 2.1 release?

Post by Luo Zhenhua
BTW, can someone please help point out where the Linaro toolchain roadmap can be got?
There was a roadmap talk at the HKG15 Connect
http://connect.linaro.org/resource/hkg15/hkg15-203-tcwg-2015-roadmap-r
eview/
I don't know if there is a more recent one.
Jim
Cheers,
--
Fathi Boudra
Engineering Manager | Builds and Baselines, Release Linaro.org | Open source
software for ARM SoCs
Fathi Boudra
2015-10-20 20:51:04 UTC
Post by Luo Zhenhua
Hi Jim and Fathi,
Thanks a lot for the comments.
Is it possible that gcc-5.x recipes go into jethro branch of meta-linaro-toolchain, or it will be integrated into master branch of meta-linaro-toolchain to support Yocto 2.1 release?
It will be integrated in jethro and master branches.