Impact of binutils .align assembler directive parsing bug
Dan Handley
2016-08-09 09:04:16 UTC
Hi

I have a question about the impact of a binutils bug to do with parsing the .align assembler directive, which may appear soon in a Linaro GCC release. The bug was first discovered by Jérôme Forissier when building ARM Trusted Firmware with a non-Linaro toolchain:
https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linaro-toolchain/2016-June/005768.html
This patch isn't present in the binutils-2.25 that tcwg is using. The patch is present in binutils-2.26.
The bug is now fixed in binutils mainline:
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=7ea12e5c3ad54da440c08f32da09534e63e515ca

But this was too late to be in the binutils-2_27 tag (3rd August)

I'm concerned that this bug may appear in the upcoming Linaro GCC 6 stable release, which may have a significant lifetime. Can anyone comment on the binutils version to be used in the Linaro GCC 6 release? If a binutils version containing the bug is used, is it possible for this to be patched with the fix? I need to know whether we need to provide an interim solution in ARM Trusted Firmware.

Regards

Dan.

Yvan Roux
2016-08-09 11:05:40 UTC
Hi Dan,
Post by Dan Handley
Hi
https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linaro-toolchain/2016-June/005768.html
This patch isn't present in the binutils-2.25 that tcwg is using. The patch is present in binutils-2.26.
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=7ea12e5c3ad54da440c08f32da09534e63e515ca
But this was too late to be in the binutils-2_27 tag (3rd August)
I'm concerned that this bug may appear in the upcoming Linaro GCC 6 stable release, which may have a significant lifetime. Can anyone comment on the binutils version to be used in the Linaro GCC 6 release? If a binutils version containing the bug is used, is it possible for this to be patched with the fix? I need to know whether we need to provide an interim solution in ARM Trusted Firmware.
Linaro GCC 6 release will use Linaro BInutils 2.26 branch which is
based on FSF 2.26 branch + some backports from mainline. Thus, our
branch will indeed need to have this fix backported to avoid this
issue. I don't see any blocker to do it, but will let people in
charge of our Binutils and Binariy releases to comment on the
feasability before the coming release.

Thanks for the heads up
Yvan
Post by Dan Handley
Regards
Dan.
Maxim Kuvyrkov
2016-08-09 12:06:05 UTC
Post by Yvan Roux
Hi Dan,
Post by Dan Handley
Hi
[...]
Adhemerval, FYI.

--
Maxim Kuvyrkov
www.linaro.org
Post by Yvan Roux
Thanks for the heads up
Yvan
Post by Dan Handley
Regards
Dan.
Dan Handley
2016-08-10 13:39:11 UTC
Hi Yvan
I'm concerned that this bug may appear in the upcoming Linaro GCC 6
stable release, which may have a significant lifetime. Can anyone
comment on the binutils version to be used in the Linaro GCC 6 release?
If a binutils version containing the bug is used, is it possible for
this to be patched with the fix? I need to know whether we need to
provide an interim solution in ARM Trusted Firmware.
Linaro GCC 6 release will use Linaro BInutils 2.26 branch which is based
on FSF 2.26 branch + some backports from mainline. Thus, our branch
will indeed need to have this fix backported to avoid this issue. I
don't see any blocker to do it, but will let people in charge of our
Binutils and Binariy releases to comment on the feasability before the
coming release.
Thanks for confirming the binutils version. I hope a fix is feasible. I'll wait for others to comment.
Thanks for the heads up
You're welcome

Dan.

Yvan Roux
2016-08-10 13:42:22 UTC
Hi Dan,
Hi Yvan
[...]
The fix is in our Binutils 2.26 branch now, so the coming release
should be fine.

Yvan
Post by Dan Handley
Thanks for the heads up
You're welcome
Dan.
Dan Handley
2016-08-10 13:46:22 UTC
The fix is in our Binutils 2.26 branch now, so the coming release should
be fine.
Yvan
That's great news - thanks!

Dan.