[ACTIVITY] 20 - 25 November 2016
Peter Smith
2016-11-25 18:35:10 UTC
Progress:

[TCWG-940] LLD test failures on libcxx and libcxxabi
- Reported bug upstream. Upstreamed a patch to LLD to add a sentinel
value. This will mean that lld linked executables won't trigger the
bug.

[TCWG-901] Investigate LLD as a system linker on ARM
- All the llvm and lld test failures were down to me forgetting to
initialise a single bitfield member that I'd added. I can now
confidently say lld can link itself and the other llvm executables
from a clean build.
- Closed out the investigation to concentrate on upstreaming my changes.

[TCWG-829] Ifunc support
- ARM does ifunc differently to all the other Targets (uses .got and
.rel.dyn instead of .got.plt and .rel.plt) I have an old downstream
patch that is essentially if (ARM) do this else do that; which is far
too messy.
- LLD has now been refactored a bit to make its linker generated
sections more flexible. I'm currently trying to rework the design to
use these. Not yet found an approach I'm happy with.

Plans:
Upstreaming priority:
[TCWG-829] Ifunc support
[TCWG-828] Static TLS support
I've got downstream patches for these but I need to extend lld and
rewrite them in a more general way to get them accepted upstream.
[TCWG-919] Thunks to undefined symbols, such as when a Shared Object
is dlopened and calls back to the executable (not yet posted
upstream).