v8.2-A CPU support
David Xia
2017-02-22 06:39:10 UTC
Hi Guys,

Could you please let me know which release of toolchain support v8.2-A CPU? How to get it?

https://www.linaro.org/downloads/
Thanks
David

Victor Chong
2017-02-22 06:47:34 UTC
Hi David,

You should be able to get them from the 'downloads' link you already have.
Go to the 'Latest Linux Targetted Binary Toolchain Releases' section
of the page, and select either Release-Notes (to see the release
notes) or Binaries.

HTH

David Xia
2017-02-22 07:04:42 UTC
Hello Victor,

Thanks for the information. I have checked the release notes which says GCC 6.2 NO support on v8.2-A. So I would like to know when will v8.2-A support would be added? Or the Linaro member could get the internal release for that (Just guess)? Thanks

Victor Chong
2017-02-22 07:20:58 UTC
Hi David,

Where do you see that? In the "NEWS for Linaro GCC 6.2-2016.11"
section on http://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/latest/,
it says: "The Linaro GCC 6.2-2016.10 snapshot added AArch32 support
for ARMv8.2 and ARMv8m, as well as some AArch64 fixes for ARMv8.2, and
bug fixes merged from FSF GCC 6.2." Is this not what you're looking
for?

Regards

David Xia
2017-02-22 07:28:45 UTC
Hi Victor,

OK. I checked from :
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-6/changes.html which does not mention 8.2-A at all. And thanks to your reasonable link (I miss it).

Jim Wilson
2017-02-22 07:22:55 UTC
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:04 PM, David Xia <***@arm.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the information. I have checked the release notes which says GCC 6.2 NO support on v8.2-A. So I would like to know when will v8.2-A support would be added? Or the Linaro member could get the internal release for that (Just guess)? Thanks

It looks like the v8.2 support was complete in the FSF sources in Sept
2016, backported to Linaro sources in Oct 2016, and is present in
gcc-linaro-6.2.1-2016.11 and later releases.

Jim
Victor Chong
2017-02-22 07:28:14 UTC
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Jim Wilson <***@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:04 PM, David Xia <***@arm.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the information. I have checked the release notes which says GCC 6.2 NO support on v8.2-A. So I would like to know when will v8.2-A support would be added? Or the Linaro member could get the internal release for that (Just guess)? Thanks
>
> It looks like the v8.2 support was complete in the FSF sources in Sept
> 2016, backported to Linaro sources in Oct 2016, and is present in
> gcc-linaro-6.2.1-2016.11 and later releases.
>
> Jim

Thanks Jim!

David, just a side note. The 'latest' link still points to 16.11
release but there's a newer one here:
https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/6.3-2017.02/.
We'll try to get it updated asap.
David Xia
2017-02-22 07:55:29 UTC
Hi Victor,

Thanks for letting me know the correct link.

David

David Xia
2017-02-22 07:34:04 UTC
Hi Jim, Victor

Thanks for your reply.

Please check:
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-7/changes.html , it says, start to added -march=armv8.2-a. Does it mean gcc-6.2 NOT support this option?

So does the 'gcc-linaro-6.2.1-2016.11' add the same option? However, the release comes from gcc-6.2. I am a little confused? Does this release fully support aarch64 (ignore some bug fix)? If yes, this should be one good choice for the customer. Thanks.

David

Jim Wilson
2017-02-22 08:00:50 UTC
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:34 PM, David Xia <***@arm.com> wrote:
> Please check:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-7/changes.html , it says, start to added -march=armv8.2-a. Does it mean gcc-6.2 NOT support this option?
>
> So does the 'gcc-linaro-6.2.1-2016.11' add the same option? However, the release comes from gcc-6.2. I am a little confused? Does this release fully support aarch64 (ignore some bug fix)? If yes, this should be one good choice for the customer. Thanks.

We backport patches from the FSF development tree into our releases.
So the linaro gcc-6.2 has more arm/aarch64 features than the FSF
gcc-6.2.

Jim
David Xia
2017-02-22 08:09:05 UTC